Monday, December 14, 2009

Photography in the Cold





Photographing here at the South pole can be quite a grueling endeavor. With temperatures that range between -80 and -9 degrees F the photographer runs into many problems. Everything from cameras freezing up to frostbite.


The cameras down here seem to last about an hour to two hours before the actual shutter mechanisms begin to freeze up and stick open in the case of my film cameras or begin to make a horrible screeching noise in the case of the digital cameras. My understanding is that this is due mostly to freezing lubricants. My lenses and tripod head become very stiff as well.



Outside the photographer has to deal with the cold while being able to operate a camera. This often means that some of your ECW (extreme cold weather gear) has to be removed. I have found this to be brutal on the fingers and face. In fact the tip of my nose and a spot right above my eyebrow is constantly raw or scarred from the skin touching my camera body and freezing to it. Fingers become cold because of wearing thin gloves so I can manipulate camera controls. This is on top of simply trying to stay warm while standing still to take photos.


When I can no longer photograph, I take a short break before coming inside to place my  camera gear inside a plastic bag that I twist shut. This keeps the cold metal and glass cameras from having condensation form on and in them. It is the same effect as pouring a glass of ice water in a warm room. Not so bad on a glass of water or beer but horrible for electronics!


While photographing outside here at the pole has its difficulties it is an incredible opportunity to make photos of frontier station and the scientific work being performed

No comments:

Post a Comment