Sunday, November 14, 2010

Down at the Pole

I have arrived at South Pole Station, well three days ago that is. The flight in was smooth and it was the first time I was able to see the mountains on the way in. What an incredible range! Being able to see this gave me a much better idea of just how far away we are. Last season the weather was too cloudy to see a thing.

Today was my first day on the job with Ice Cube. We basically spent all day digging out drill camp. It is a lot of snow to move but we nearly completed the job. I spent the day clearing snow off the roofs of the buildings. Which may seem like a monotonous task but it was pretty fun. If you do it right you can break big chunks off at a time because the snow gets so hard packed during the winter. So when you have a clear roof it is pretty fun. Cleaning out around pipes, hoses and other objects is a bit more challenging. Chad and Blayne were able to make progress on getting the Generator wired.

It felt great to be working out in the cold again. I forgot how intense it can be. While working today my whole face was iced up (my South Pole happy face) and my eyelids (eyelashes really) were even freezing together a bit. So invigorating, these conditions really stir up a resilient side of me that thrives in tough conditions.

No comments:

Post a Comment