Sunday, November 8, 2009

Arrival at the South Pole

Friday November, 6 I arrived with my fellow travelers at the South Pole via an Air Force LC-130 cargo plane. The trip over from McMurdo was surreal. The plane handled smoothly floating through turbulence rather than shuttering as jets seem to do. We all sat in two rows that ran the length of the plane. These jump seats were made of nylon and rigged in place. Large pallets of cargo were stored in the middle on rollers. The landing was so soft many of us were shocked that we were already on the ground. 

As the plane taxied to a stop we all gathered out belongings and zipped up our extreme cold weather gear. We were here! The air of excitement was overwhelming. As we exited the plane the crew instructed for us to exit to the front and right of the plane so we would not get to intimate with the propellers. 

The bottom of the stairs confronted us with the bold reality that we all faced for the next four months. It was bitter cold and dry. I couldn’t help but cough a little with my first few breaths of the frigid air that seemed to bite a little when it hit the lungs. Instantly my breath began to freeze in my beard. There was a short walk over to the new station where we were greeted and given an orientation before we were released for lunch and rest. 

After an great lunch, I headed out to summer camp, which is a cluster of Korean War era heated Jamesway tents. Inside the half round tents, there are dividers giving each person staying there their own little personal space. The tents are comfortable and surprisingly warm. The little room I call home has a window and is at the end of the tent. A nice quiet spot. Many of these rooms have been upgraded by their inhabitants with desking space and artwork. The room I inherited will require a little work to become more functional, but this work will be a benefit to all those who stay there after me. How exciting!







No comments:

Post a Comment