Monday, November 2, 2009

First Stop Christchurch

Every great journey starts somewhere. This one started in Denver where my co-workers and I attended orientation and afterward led me to Christchurch, New Zealand. The 30 hour trip down here went quickly and was surprisingly comfortable. In fact it went so fast that I felt as though I had not earned the distance traveled. Staring down at the great ocean below I couldn't help but think how tremendous it must have been to finally arrive at land after a long tiring boat journey. One must feel the true distance between lands. How great it must be to savor the new lands. But, that was not my journey, not this time anyway.

Ironically, later that evening I sat in a indian food restruant and it felt like I was sitting in Sante Fe or Taos, NM. The wood floor had the look of old pine floors from the western U.S. and the colors were earthy greens and oranges, it felt as if I had only taken a flight from one state to another in the U.S. However once leaving the aiport I felt on guard and tense, like I felt in South Africa. I believe it is the amazing physical/ cultural infrastructure similarities between the countries. I soon came to find that this place is nothing like South Africa. The people here are kind, friendly and it seems to be very safe.

Today I am headed out to the CDC (the Clothing Distribution Center) to get issued ECWs (Extreme Cold Weather Gear).

No comments:

Post a Comment